Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Puppy Dog Cupcakes


Today my baby turned 4. And he loves dogs. He was a dog for Halloween and right now his favorite toy is a stuff dog, which he has named Puppy Dog. Original huh! So, to celebrate his birthday and his love of dogs, I made some puppy dog cupcakes. I saw these on a friends family blog and when my son Isaac saw them, he wanted them for his party. So thanks RaQuelle for the great idea! They were a hit!




I used Tootsie Rolls for the ears, Star Bursts for the tongue, a marshmallow and M&M for the nose and more M&M's for the eyes. You just kind of work the Tootsie Rolls and Star Burst back and forth in your hands and kind of mold them into the shape you want. I used a butter knife to make the groove in the tongue. Put the ears, eyes, and nose on first, and the tongue last. The marshmallow get put on at an angle, just do what looks best!

Some things I learned while doing them are:
1. They are time consuming. Having a couple hands doing them would be better!
2. Frost the cupcake right before adding the candy so it will stick better. I ended up having to add more frosting to get everything on.
3. I think they would have been better off if I hadn't have covered them. I did them at night and then covered them and in the morning the candy was really sticky and some of the ears that were touching were sticking together. I don't think that would have happened if I had left them uncovered.
4. You will eat a lot of candy while making them!

But they were worth the effort! My little Bubba sure liked them a lot!





I'm linking this post to...

10 comments:

  1. these are so adorable!
    thank you for the instructions and for the tips too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! Happy 4th Birthday to Issac....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I especially like the one that looks like he is trying to catch snowflakes on his tongue! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, coming over from Jen's...those are so cute! My boys would love those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those turned out darling! I love them. Have you ever looked at Hello Cupcakes website?
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!
    Cute "puppy love' for Valentines day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cupcakes are just adorable! My daughter would go ga-ga over those!

    Thanks so much for linking this up!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!